Adaptive Mentalities in Design Education
- A plea for adaptive mentalities within design pedagogy and design practices
- Inspiring practices related to the role and values of design education
- How can students and designers develop a conscious and future-proof attitude in their practice, connecting with current issues
- Selected by the Student Jury as one of the Best Dutch Book Designs of 2020!
Editor: Annelys de Vet
Contributors: Hannes Bernard, Michèle Champagne, Rana Ghavami, Anja Groten, Agata Jaworska, Anastasia Kubrak, Sherida Kuffour, Gui Machiavelli, Daniel van der Velden, Annelys de Vet and many others
Design: Tessa Meeus & Alex Walker
2020, Valiz with Sandberg Instituut, Amsterdam | paperback | 192 pp. | 23,5 x 17 cm (h x w) | February 2020 | English | ISBN 978-94-92095-73-2 |
- Feature of Design Dedication on It's Nice That.
- Feature of Design Dedication in Slanted.
- Book review of Design Dedication in Novum.
- Listen to episode 163 of the Scratching the Surface Podcast for an interview with Annelys De Vet.
Design Dedication makes a plea for adaptive mentalities within design pedagogy, with a non-normative approach to design practices. It explores an attitude in and towards design education that is socially engaged, politically aware, generous in approach, lyrical in tone, experimental in form and collaborative in practice. How can we talk about and bring out the political that’s inherent in the work that design students are doing? How to work on specific urgencies that are rooted in experience and narration? What are the underlying values of such a pedagogy? What kind of practices are developed in the context? How can an institute support and safeguard this?
Design Dedication explores these approaches through statements from within and reaches out to design students, designers, artists, and teachers who are open to questioning their own practices and reformulating values in design dedication for a yet unpredictable, but surely dedicated tomorrow.